It has happened.
The weather has finally begun to feel like Spring! It’s wonderful.
Some days even feel like summer.
Aside from the beautiful weather, one of my favorite aspects of this season is the price of fruit. Grapes drop to a reasonable price, and I gobble them up by the bagful.
This Sweet Grape Salad recipe is from my grandma. The first time she fed it to me, I was enamored. I took seconds, thirds, and fourths, but I didn’t feel that bad because, come on, it’s fruit! Fruit is good for you. Though I enjoy it throughout the seasons, it’s more ideal for Spring and Summer due to the cheaper prices of grapes (in the Midwest, at least).
It can be enjoyed as a tasty side dish, but it also makes for a somewhat healthy dessert.
Of course, grapes by themselves are fantastic, but whip up this sweet salad, and you’ve got yourself a nice little potluck or picnic contribution!
As an alternative to a salad, you could even use the creamy coating as a dip instead of tossing the grapes in it. It would go well with pretty much any fruit, too– Strawberries, bananas, apples, anything your heart (or stomach) desires.
- 4 lbs. seedless grapes (red, green, black, or a combination– any kind works!)
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened to room temperature (I use fat free.)
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. sour cream (I’ve done half sour cream with half Greek yogurt but never all Greek yogurt; I imagine it would work just as well though.)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. almond extract (optional, but highly recommended)
- Remove all the grapes from the stems, discarding any bad grapes, and wash them. Pat them dry, and set aside.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- Stir the grapes into the cream cheese mixture until all grapes are coated.
- Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to four days.
Things I love about this recipe: It’s easy to make, it’s sweet and delicious, it doesn’t require many ingredients, it’s fairly healthy, it’s versatile, it’s refreshing, and it’s SUMMERY. And it’s made of grapes, and I loooove grapes. Mmmmm.
So here you go! Bring this to your next picnic or potluck, and make everyone happy.
What’s your favorite summer fruit recipe?
© Milk & Cereal. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
that looks so yummy
This looks so delicious!! Such a refreshing dessert 🙂
Thanks! I think so, too. 🙂
I love this idea! It’s the perfect refreshing dessert with BBQ season coming up. I can’t wait to try it. I’m a huge fan of Greek yogurt so that’s what I’ll be using for this pretty dish. 🙂
Thanks, Tina! Let me know how using all Greek yogurt turns out!