Do you ever come across dessert recipes claiming to be healthy and then, after looking at the ingredients, find that it’s really not that healthy? It’s disappointing.
Well, this is not one of those recipes!
The first time I made it, I wasn’t even sure if it would taste good because it has so little added sweetener. There’s just one tablespoon of honey in the whole recipe, which serves two, and I didn’t know if that would be enough. But I loved it! And Rob did, too, without knowing how healthy it is.
Also, the first time I made it, it was more like soft serve frozen yogurt. To get a creamy, soft serve texture, just add a bit more milk, and process or puree it longer. You could even make it into a drinkable smoothie!
Now, if you don’t mind adding a little unhealthy factor to this healthy treat, it is wonderful with a spoonful of homemade whipped cream on top. However, I assure you it doesn’t really need the whipped cream. With or without it, this is still a sweet and refreshing summer dessert.
- 1 6-oz. container strawberry banana yogurt (I use low fat Greek), frozen into cubes
- 1 small to medium banana, sliced and frozen
- 1 c. frozen strawberries
- 1/4 to 1/2 c. your choice of milk (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Use less milk for a more “ice-cream-like” texture and more milk for a soft serve texture. Add even more milk to make it a smoothie.)
- 1 Tbs. honey (Feel free to add more or less to your taste.)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Add all of the ingredients except for the honey and vanilla to a food processor or blender. Process until it has almost reached your desired consistency, adding milk as needed. Stop every now and then to scrape down the sides.
- Add the honey and vanilla, and process to combine.
- Serve immediately. Recipe yields two servings.
Not only is this “ice cream” healthy and delicious, it’s also super easy to make. It doesn’t require any inconvenient tools or ingredients, and it comes together in a cinch. It’s as satisfying as a milkshake, but it’s much better for you! WIN.
Just look at that! Doesn’t look healthy, does it? And it doesn’t taste like it either, which is the best kind of deception. 🙂
What cool treats are you making this summer?
© Milk & Cereal. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.