Are you ready?
Are you ready for the tastiest rice krispy bar your taste buds will ever encounter?
If not, you best prepare yourself. Get ready for a treat so sweet, so gooey, so delectable that it will be all the rage of any event or gathering to which you bring it. You will be the most popular person in the room for providing everyone with such bliss.
Now, you may think this an overstatement, and perhaps it could be, but this is the reaction my aunt experiences every time she brings them to family gatherings, and it’s the reaction I experienced after finally getting her recipe and bringing the bars to a company party. Everybody, kids and grown-ups alike, thought they were just the best thing since sliced bread.
Be warned, it’s near impossible to eat just one (unless, or course, you cut them into 10-inch square bars). If there are enough people around though, you shouldn’t struggle too much with self-control since they’ll be gone before you get the chance to over indulge.
These rice krispy bars are filled with creamy, gooey caramel and drizzled with a little on top, too. So the caramel keeps the bars from getting to thick/solid/hard as some can tend to be. And you know how a plain rice krispy bar can sometimes taste too sugary? Not a problem here. While the caramel filling is sugary, yes, it’s a different kind of sweetness that creates a nice balance with the sweetness of the mallows. Really, these bars are kind of just perfect.
But don’t take my word for it. Make them, and see for yourself! 🙂
- 1 package (12-14 oz.) caramels
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 c. (8 Tbs. or 1 stick) + 6 Tbs. butter, divided
- 2 packages (10 oz. each) marshmallows, divided (I use mini marshmallows)
- 11 cups Rice Krispies cereal, divided (Use gluten free Rice Krispies for gluten free bars.)
- Spray a large rectangle pan (I use a 12×17 inch jelly roll pan.) with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, melt the caramels with the sweetened condensed milk and one stick of butter. The microwave or a double boiler will work; heat in one-minute intervals, stirring in between, if using microwave. Let the caramel filling cool while making the rice krispy layers.
- Melt one bag of marshmallows with 3 Tbs. butter. Microwave them in a large bowl for 2 minutes, stir, then microwave one more minute (Or use a double boiler.), and stir until smooth.
- Mix 5 1/2 cups of the rice cereal into the marshmallow mixture until well incorporated, and press it into the sprayed pan. Wetting your hands will help prevent the mixture from sticking to them.
- Pour the caramel filling evenly over the rice krispy layer, reserving a small amount to drizzle over the top of the completed bars.
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 with the remaining one bag of marshmallows, 3 Tbs. butter, and 5 1/2 cups of cereal. Press this batch of rice krispy treats on top of the caramel layer, and drizzle the reserved caramel filling over the bars.
- Cut the bars into your desired size, and enjoy! Recipe makes 48 two-inch bars. Store in an airtight container.
There you have it. The tastiest rice krispy bar your taste buds will ever encounter.
© Milk & Cereal. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.